One of my cousins got married 13 years ago… so long ago, I can’t really remember it. But this past weekend, another one of my cousins, David finally tied the knot with his now wife, Wendi… CONGRATS! Among our cousins, we always joke about who’s next and then point fingers to the oldest or the one who’s been in the long relationship who we say is next in line.
Now that I’m older and a tad wiser, I understand a little more about what it means to be married. I know it has it’s good times, but also struggles as well. During their reception, David requested that everyone gives them advice for a long marriage. Since I’m not married, I don’t think I’m qualified to give marriage advice, but I did ask my cousin what her advice to the happy couple was…
- Be supportive of each other’s dreams even though you don’t always agree with them.
- Don’t hint. If you want something, just say it.
- Communicate. Don’t assume the other person can read your mind.
- Have shared activities and interests, but also keep your independence.
- Make friends with each other’s family and friends.
- Pick your battles. Some are worth fighting for and some things you just need to let go.
- Don’t forget to say.. “I’m sorry”, “you’re right” and “I love you”
I hope that sounds simple enough. You have a long, but exciting journey ahead and I hope you get more words of wisdom. When you do… your cousins and I are waiting for your kids so we can come back to Florida and spoil them!
Best wishes and congrats again on Finding Your Peanut Butter and the #onethatsticks!