I don’t know about you, but I’m getting pretty sick of seeing pink, red and purple around this time. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a hopeless romantic (or maybe just hopeless), but seeing all those balloons, candy, and stuffed animals when single just makes me a) wish I was in a relationship or b) wish Valentine’s day was over.
Anyway, not to be all cynical or anything, but here are my thoughts to getting through Valentine’s day when you’re single:
- Don’t look at social media. You know your friends will be posting about “Single Awareness Day” or what their hunny bunnies and cutie pies got them which will remind you how single you are. So just STAY AWAY!
- 50% off! Look forward to buying candy for half off! Instead of having to buy it for your significant other, you can simply by yourself double the day after. Who said you can’t treat yo’ self?
- Do something nice for another person. Just because you don’t have that one person doesn’t mean you still can’t do something nice. Go ahead.. Your mystery gift giving will allow someone to appreciate the thought! Admit it, you’ll feel better that you did something nice.
- Spend time with those you love. Who says you only have to spend Valentine’s day with 1 person? How about your family, your closest friends, or your furry pal? Valentine’s day is a day to celebrate love so show some love to the people you care about.
- Make it about you. Along the lines of love, how about loving yourself? Instead of being spoiled by someone, how about spoiling yourself for the day. I bet you already know what you want…
- Don’t compare yourself to others. So what if you’re single? There’s many benefits to it and it may just not be your time. Who cares?? Just because someone looks like they’re having a good time doesn’t mean that they are always super happy in their relationship.
If you don’t listen to anything I say, at least get the half off candy. That way, you’ll save a few $$. Just kidding. Happy Valentine’s day whether you’re single, in a relationship or complicated. Just don’t think too much into this day because you should be showing love every other day!